Introducing Dynamics 365 App for Outlook version 9.0
The Dynamics 365 App for Outlook version 9.0 is has been out of preview and generally available to all customer organizations on Dynamics 365 (online) version 9.0!
Dynamics 365 App for Outlook running on Unified Interface
View tracked email or appointment in the app
Quickly create entity records without leaving Outlook
Pin app to be a fixed pane
Search in Dynamics 365
View Dynamics 365 records without leaving Outlook
Best practices for migrating from Dynamics 365 for Outlook (Outlook Client) to Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, version 9.0
Set up Server-side synchronization
If you are not already set up to use Server-Side Synchronization, please refer to instructions on how to set up server-side synchronization before proceeding further. Microsoft Dynamics 365 App for Outlook paired with server-side synchronization enables you to tap into the power of Dynamics 365 while you’re using Outlook on the desktop, web, or phone.
After setting up server-side synchronization and setting the required privileges, you can push Dynamics 365 App for Outlook to some or all users, or you can have users install it themselves as needed. The users do not need any special rights on the local computer for this process.
Two options for deploying App for Outlook:
Option 1: Push App for Outlook to users
- Go to Settings > Dynamics 365 App for Outlook.
- In the Getting Started with Dynamics 365 App for Outlook screen, under Add for Eligible Users (you may have to click Settings if you’re opening this screen for the second or subsequent time), select the Automatically add the app to Outlook check box if you want to have users get the app automatically. If a user has the required privileges , and email is synchronized through server-side synchronization, you won’t have to do anything more to push the app to them. For example, if you add the required privilege to the Salesperson role, and assign this role to a new user, they’ll automatically get the app.
- Do one of the following:
• To push the app to all eligible users, click Add App for All Eligible Users.
• To push the app to certain users, select those users in the list, and then click Add App to Outlook.
- When you’re done, click Save.
Option 2: Have users install App for Outlook themselves
- Users click the Settings button, and then click Apps for Dynamics 365.
- In the Apps for Dynamics 365 screen, under Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, users click Add app to Outlook.
Updates to App for Outlook are pushed from the Dynamics 365 server automatically. There is no action required by the user to receive or check for updates.
Discontinue Dynamics 365 for Outlook
If you are using Dynamics 365 App for Outlook and Dynamics 365 for Outlook at the same time, choose one or the other for tracking. Microsoft does not support tracking in both simultaneously as it is known to cause data inconsistencies in some cases. Microsoft Dynamics 365 App for Outlook paired with server-side synchronization is the preferred way to integrate Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Outlook, as it enables you to tap into the power of Dynamics 365 while you’re using Outlook on the desktop, web, or phone.
As a precaution and a best practice, it is recommended that you uninstall Dynamics 365 for Outlook after the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is deployed, by following the steps listed here.
After the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is deployed, previously synced emails, appointments and contacts will remain in sync with Dynamics 365. Their Tracked and Regarding status will be reflected in the app.
- If you have any custom security roles, then users who have that role assigned may not be able to access Dynamics 365 App for Outlook. In addition to the required privileges, they also need to have access to the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook solution. While we are working on providing an easy way to configure this, the workaround at this point is to provide Create and Write privilege on App entity in the Customization tab.
- Delegated users cannot use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook to track emails. Microsoft suggests using folder-level tracking or automatic tracking for delegated users.
- Dynamics 365 App for Outlook cannot currently be used to sync Outlook tasks to Dynamics 365.
Let DNS help you
As a Microsoft Certified Partner, DNS helps companies get up and running with Microsoft Dynamics. We don’t just install and configure the software – we train your staff to use it to create the reports they need, so they can analyze data as needed. Our solutions give both technical and non-technical employees the information they need to do their jobs well — wherever they are, in whatever application they choose to use. Take the next step towards growth with Microsoft Dynamics 365 in the cloud or on your servers—the choice is yours. Contact us at DNS to learn more.